Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I'm starting to like this Spenser guy...

The super had an office partitioned off with chicken wire from the rest of the cellar. In it were a rolltop desk, an antique television set, and a swivel chair, in which sat the super. The smell of bad wine oozed out of the place. He looked at me with no sign of recognition or welcome.

I said, "I want to use your phone."

He said, "There's a pay phone at the drugstore across the street. I ain't running no charity here."

I said, "There's a dead person in room thirteen, and I am going to call the police and tell them. If you say anything to me but yes, sir, I will hit you at least six times in the face."


From the Godwulf Manuscript by Robert B. Parker

4 comments:

John Going Gently said...

sounds like sam spade with more attitude!

Maria said...

Why not seven or five? Why six?

Eric said...

I think he doesn't like odd numbers.

John Going Gently said...

love the essay on bar life

your write very well